East Asian Fellows Summer 2019 Program
The East Asian Fellows Program in Aging, Hearing, and Public Health will be held July 15 - 19, 2019 at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, Maryland.
The purpose of this one-week program is to provide an overview of public health concepts, methods, and strategies to assist clinicians and researchers in East Asia who are pursuing public health research and projects focused on addressing hearing loss in older adults. Lectures and small group sessions will cover epidemiology, biostatistics, clinical trials, gerontology, intervention design, health policy/economics, and select clinical topics in otolaryngology, audiology, and geriatrics.
Location and Costs
The East Asian Fellows Program will take place on the campus of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Cochlear Center for Hearing and Public Health will provide complimentary accommodations for participants in a Johns Hopkins University dormitory, and all meals and social events will be covered. Participants will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to Baltimore.
Planned social outings include:
- Bus tour of Baltimore
- Maryland Blue Crab dinner
- Baltimore Orioles baseball game
- Baltimore Inner Harbor boat tour
This program is designed for clinicians (ENTs, audiologists, internists/geriatricians, etc.) and researchers (epidemiologists, gerontologists, etc.) who are interested in understanding and addressing the impact of hearing loss on older adults using public health methodologies.
- Potential candidates are strongly encouraged to develop interdisciplinary collaborations in their home country before applying for the program and to have 2 or more members of the team apply together for the East Asian Fellows program.
- Applications are due by December 16th, 2018, 11:59pm.
- Selected participants will be notified by January 11th, 2019.
Applicants will need to submit the following application materials to Shannon Smitherman at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 16th, 2018:
- Completed application form
- Cover letter explaining background & interest in the East Asian Fellows Program
- Curriculum vitae
- OPTIONAL (but highly recommended): Description of ongoing or planned project focused on aging, hearing, & public health that would be positively impacted by participating in the program
Please read the Application Procedure document (link to document) for detailed instructions on how to apply.