Seminars & Events
2021-2022 COCHLEAR CENTER FOR HEARING & PUBLIC HEALTH SEMINAR SERIES
The 2021-2022 Seminar Series has concluded. The 2022-2023 Seminar Series will begin in September 2022.
About the Seminar Series:
We are delighted to present speakers with expertise in a wide variety of topics around hearing, aging, and public health including social isolation, consumer hearing technologies, task sharing for hearing care, delirium, and dementia.
Seminars are held the fourth Monday of each month from NOON – 1 pm ET, except for the March 28, 2022 seminar which will be at 4 pm ET. Seminars are free and open to the public, and most will be recorded for future viewing. There is no December seminar.
All seminars will be offered in person and via Zoom:
- Zoom attendees must register in advance to receive Zoom log-in information. Click here to register for Zoom Seminars.
- In-person attendance does not require advance registration. If you plan to join us in person, please familiarize yourself with the Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 guidelines on masking and other preventive measures before the event.
- Seminars will be held in Paige Hall (W2030) in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, Maryland.
For questions or more information, please contact Shannon Smitherman.
Full Schedule: 2021 - 2022 Cochlear Center Seminar Speakers
September 27: Steve Ewell, MBA, Executive Director of the Consumer Technology Association Foundation, a charitable foundation with the mission of linking seniors and people with disabilities with technology that enhances their lives.
- View a recording of presentation: “Using Technology As We Age To Combat Social Isolation And Improve Lives”
October 25, 2021: Julie Bynum, MD, MPH, University of Michigan Margaret Terpenning Collegiate Professor of Internal Medicine; Professor, Geriatric and Palliative Medicine; Associate Director, Health Policy & Research, Geriatric Center; Research Scientist, Institute of Gerontology; Associate Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs
- View a recording of presentation: “Accelerating Population Research and Its Impact on Reducing Alzheimer’s Disease Burden”
There is no November seminar. THE SEMINAR BY EVA DUGOFF, PHD, HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 28.
There is no December seminar.
January 24, 2022: Richard Neitzel, PhD, MS, University of Michigan Professor, Environmental Health Sciences; Associate Director, Global Public Health; Professor, Global Public Health.
- View a recording of presentation: "The Apple Hearing Study: New Approaches to Evaluating the Relationship Between Sound and Health"
February 28, 2022: Eva DuGoff, PhD, Senior Health Advisor, United States Senate Committee on Finance, presents "Hearing Care in Medicare: Current status and next steps."
March 28, 2022, at 4 pm ET: Cath McMahon, PhD, Macquarie University, Director of Audiology and Director of the HEAR Centre.
- View a recording of presentation: "Understanding Unmet Needs For Older Adults' Hearing Health"
April 25, 2022 - Cochlear Center Research Day: Natalie Phillips, PhD, Concordia University, Professor and Research Chair in Sensory-Cognitive Health in Aging and Dementia, Psychology.
- View a recording of presentations: Research Day faculty talks and Keynote Address
JOURNAL CLUB/ RESEARCH IN PROGRESS MEETINGS
Location: Zoom Link (contact Mindy Dmuchowski with questions)
Time: 2nd Monday of the month, NOON - 1 pm ET